Modal Electronics has today announced two new members of the Argon8 Synthesizer family: Argon8M a new desktop unit and Argon8X a 61-key keyboard version.
They don’t have a boot at NAMM 2020, but they benefit from the good times to present something new. These two new versions are based on the same wavetable Synthesizer engine (DNA of the Modal 002) as the initially released Argon8.
Argon8M is a compact desktop module version that can also be mounted into a 19″ 3U rack with the included end cheeks, for those players with limited space. Argon8X is an elongated 61 key version using the same FATAR TP/9S mechanism with aftertouch, for those players who want an extended octave range. It’s important to know that shares the identical sound engine as the original Argon 8 with 37 keys and 8 voice of true polyphony. A very cool decision from Modal Electronics to expands its Argon8 Synthesizer range in this way.
- True 8 voice polyphonic
- 120 carefully crafted wavetables split into 24 banks of 5 morphable waveform sets, covering virtual analogue classics through to cutting edge EDM and many from the original Modal 002 as well as a whole range of mathematically generated tables. Additional PWM bank and 3 noise/modulation banks accessible on Oscillator 2
- 32 static wavetable modifiers including, de-rez, wave folders, wave shapers, phase shapers and rectify that can be applied to the 120 wavetables to give a mind-boggling array of permutations and new waveshapes.
- 32 high resolution wavetable oscillators, 4 per voice
- 8 types of oscillator modifier including: Phase Mod (FM), Ring Mod, Amp Mod,
- Hard Sync and Windowed Sync
- Voice Drift and Width controls that help to create massive stereo soundscapes
- Multiple keyboard modes, Mono, Poly, Unison 2, unison 4, unison 8, Stack 2 and Stack 4
- Inbuilt sophisticated programmable arpeggiator of 32 steps with rest capability with up to 2048 steps before repeating
- Glide/Portamento with both legato and staccato modes
- 4 Filter types. All filters types are 2 pole state-variable filters, the ‘Standard’ filters are based on the resonant filter found in other Modal products (SKULPTsynthesiser, CRAFTsynth2.0). The ‘Classic’ types have a more rounded character and a softer resonance response.
- 8 assignable modulation slots
- 4 additional fixed modulation routings for common assignments
- 11 modulation sources, 52 modulation destinations
- 4-axis joystick that can be assigned to a huge range of modulation destinations and virtually ‘locked’ when desired
- 3 dedicated envelope generators for AMP, MOD and FILTER that can be accessed independently or all three simultaneously including negative (inverse) versions
- 2 Audio rate LFO’s with tempo sync (one poly, one global). Polyphonic LFO can sync to frequency divisions
- Waveshaping distortion
- 3 incredibly powerful independent and user configurable stereo FX engines for Chorus, Phaser, Flanger (Pos), Flanger (Neg), Tremolo, LoFi, Rotary, Stereo Delay, Ping-Pong Delay, X-Over Delay and Reverb that can be arranged in any order
- 32-step programmable arpeggiator
- Real time sequencer with 512 notes with input quantise and four recordable /editable parameter animations (Delay FX, LFO’s, sequencer and arpeggiator can be either clocked internally or externally