SYNTH ANATOMY uses affiliation & partner programs (big red buttons) to finance a part of the activity. If you use these, you support the website. Thanks!
M-Audio Oxygen Pro, the best-selling MIDI controllers have received a Pro upgrade with smart features (arpeggiator, note repeat…), better DAW connectivity, and more
Every electronic musician starts out with a simple MIDI keyboard. It is the cheapest and easiest way to start producing music. There are many MIDI keyboards, some of them are very popular and real bestsellers. I started with the M-Audio Oxygen and I have to admit it was one of the best MIDI keyboards. They didn’t cost a lot and offered a lot of features (good keybed, lots of knobs …).
The classic Oxygen series got a pro upgrade with new features and design.
M-Audio Oxygen Pro
The new M-Audio Oxygen Pro keyboards are available in 25, 49, 61 layouts, and in a new mini key version. They are all USB-powered, includes an OLED screen, smart chord & smart scale technologies, as well as an auto-mapping functionality. This maps automatically your controller to your DAW (MPC Beats, Pro Tools, Ableton Live, Logic Pro…).
The Oxygen Series will also auto-map to the included Air Music Tech virtual instruments (Velvet, Mini Grand, Vacuum, Boom, DB-33, Xpand!2) so artists can easily convert their creativity into immediate, tangible results. We only knew this function from Akai / M-Audio from the VIP keyboard series. It’s nice to see that mapping, even currently only for AIR plugins, happens automatically. Then, it has a built-in arpeggiator and a note repeat function. Features you would expect from a Pro version.
They have 16 RGB backlit velocity-sensitive pads, nine assignable faders (excl. Pro 25), eight assignable knobs, and MIDI output on a 5-pin connector. Interesting to see that there is no complete MIDI interface. Technically it would certainly be possible and there would also be space. According to M-Audio, they offer “an incredibly smooth-feeling keyboard bed that provides maximum control of your software”.
Unlike the big versions, the new Oxygen Pro Mini only packs eight performance pads, four knobs, and four faders into a more compact 32-mini key design. MIDI is available via a 3.5mm jack.
Every keyboard, regardless of whether it is full or mini, comes with a large bundle of software that you can start using right away. It includes three DAWs including MPC Beats, Pro Tools | First M-Audio Edition, and Ableton Live Lite. On the side of the virtual instrument, it features synthesizers (Hybrid 3, Vacuum), a drum machine (Boom), and classic instruments (DB-33, Mini Grand & Velvet). On top, they ship with several MPC expansions.
- Best-in-class, velocity-sensitive, semi-weighted keys with aftertouch and assignable zones
- (16) RGB, backlit, assignable, velocity-sensitive pads with Note Repeat for beat production, clip launching, and more
- (8) assignable knobs & buttons for controlling virtual instruments, mix plugins, DAW controls, and more
- (9) assignable faders for controlling virtual instruments, plugins, DAW faders, and more
- Preset and DAW buttons for auto-mapped DAW controls & plugin parameters
- Smart Chord mode enables playing of enharmonic or custom chord voicings
- Smart Scale mode eliminates wrong notes making it easy to craft a perfect song
- Arpeggiator with Type, Octave, Gate and Swing controls
- Ergonomically designed pitch and modulation wheels & 1/4” sustain pedal input
- USB-MIDI connection and 5-pin MIDI Output for controlling external MIDI gear
- Intuitive layout featuring an OLED screen for quick control edits
- Includes MIDI editor software and a complete software production package
M-Audio Oxygen Pro series are available now and the following prices:
- Oxygen Pro Mini – $119/129€
- OP 25 – $199/189€
- OPro 49 – $249/239€
- OPro 61 – $299/279€
More information here: M-Audio
Available at our partners
Audio & MIDI
Be the first to comment