Sequential will unveil the Pro 3 at NAMM 2020, a further development of the beloved Pro 1 hybrid Synthesizer with a brand new design and feature set.
The name Pro 3 has been in the media for several months. Especially since I discovered the name in the trademarks back in September. Now it’s here and it looks gorgeous. The Sequential Pro 3 is a 2 VCO + wavetable mono paraphonic Synthesizer with a “new benchmark for raw sonic power and unrivaled versatility”.
It offers two voltage-controlled oscillators providing warmth and presence while third new wavetable oscillator provides a digital edge and grid. Available are 32 tables of 16 waves each with advance wave morphing options. Tuned feedback with grunge, and analog distortion deliver industrial-grade nastiness on demand.
It becomes very interesting in the filter section where we can find three different vintage filters. Filter 1 is a 4-pole lowpass design based on the Prophet-6 filter. Filter 2 is a classic transistor ladder filter with optional resonance compensation to preserve its low-end punch.
Filter 3 is a classic 2-pole, state-variable design based on the OB-6 filter that can be continuously varied between lowpass, notch, and high-pass operation, with an optional band-pass mode. For extra punch and character, an additional drive control is onboard.
According to the information, the most powerful performance tool of the new Pro 3 synth is the new sequencer. With 16 tracks, 16 steps, and 4 phrases, it features both real-time and step input, ratcheting, variable gate and sequence lengths, multiple playback modes, and paraphonic operation. It also syncs to MIDI clock and external audio input, and inputs/outputs control voltages. In addition to notes, sequence tracks can control any parameter in the 132-destination modulation matrix.
Compatible With Modular Synths
The Pro 3’s flexible architecture opens the door to not only processing external audio, but also to interfacing with modular synths through its 4 rear-panel control voltage inputs/outputs and a dedicated gate output. Control voltages can be assigned and routed from within the modulation matrix and can run at audio rates for extreme modulation effects.
Some of the many parameters that can be sent to the CV outputs include oscillators, LFOs, envelopes, and sequencer tracks, allowing the Pro 3 to become the central hub of a modular or multi synth setup.
Modulation, ARP & Effects
Sequential Pro 3 features four loopable five-stage envelope generators, three syncable LFOs with slew and phase offset, a full-featured arpeggiator, and a 32-slot modulation matrix with dozens of modulation sources and over a hundred destinations. On the effect side, it offers delays, reverbs, time-domain effects such as chorus/phasing/flanging and more
The Pro 3 was designed to be a super-powerful monosynth, but it is also a versatile 3-voice paraphonic synth. This makes playing 3-note chords not only possible, but with creative use of effects and some per-oscillator modulation, mind-blowingly expressive. It offers a three-octave, semi-weighted keyboard with velocity and channel aftertouch, add backlit pitch and mod wheels and a location-sensitive touch slider, and you’ve got one of the most inspiring synths ever made.
- Two analogue, voltage-controlled oscillators
- One DSP-based digital oscillator
- Analog oscillators produce three classic wave shapes: (triangle, saw, pulse) with variable shape modulation/pulse width on each
- Digital oscillator produce 32 digital wavetables of 16 waves each with wave morphing, plus classic wave shapes (sine, triangle, saw, variable-width pulse) and super saw
- Digital oscillator 3 can function as an LFO for complex wavetable-based modulation
- White noise generator
- Hard sync, per-oscillator Glide, Oscillator Slop
- 3-voice paraphonic mode with individually-gated envelopes per oscillator
- Three classic filter types
- Filter 1 is a 4-pole, 24 dB per-octave, Prophet-6 low-pass filter
- Filter 2 is a classic, 4-pole, 24 dB per-octave, transistor ladder filter with optional resonance compensation
- Filter 3 is a 2-pole, 12 db per-octave, OB-6 state-variable filter. It can be continuously varied between low-pass, notch, and high-pass operation, with an optional band-pass mode.
- Three syncable LFOs with phase offset and slew per LFO
- Five waveshapes: triangle, saw, reverse saw, square, and S&H
- Four ADSR envelopes with delay (Filter, VCA, and two Auxiliary envelopes)
- Envelopes freely assignable to multiple modulation destinations
- All envelopes can repeat/loop
- Tuned feedback with Grunge for extra-aggressive tonal destruction
- Programmable analog distortion
Sequential Pro 3 hybrid Synthesizer will be available to pre-order soon for $1599 USD. A version in a wood finish will be available for $2099 USD called special edition.
More information here: Sequential
Be the first to comment