Nektar Technology BOLT is an innovative Synthesizer plugin that is based on a brand-new harmonics synthesis concept using multi-sine oscillators!
Nektar Technology has been known for some time for good MIDI controllers with smart features. Recently they have broken new ground with the release of its first Synthesizer plugin. BOLT is a new innovative synth plugin that is based on harmonics synthesis by Prof. Dr. Udo Zoelzer.
This new synth plugin looks very interesting in my opinion and always good to see that companies tries to bring synthesis further.
Nektar Technology, Inc., California, December 20, 2018 – BOLT is Nektar’s first foray into the world of virtual instruments and employs a new form of synthesis with unique sonic character and intuitive user interface.
BOLT enables a different and fast approach to sound design with an unusually organic and warm sonic character. Harmonics Synthesis generates and shapes the sound directly in the oscillator: It doesn’t require the dedicated filter section typically found on subtractive Synthesizers. By turning just one knob, a wave’s shape can be changed from dark and subtle to bright and overtone-rich.
Harmonics Synthesis is based on the MSO (multi sine oscillator) concept by Professor Dr. Udo Zoelzer of Helmut Schmidt University in Hamburg, Germany. Mr Zoelzer is a scientist with decades of experience in digital signal processing and a passion for audio and synthesis. Over the last two years, the university and Nektar have collaborated on developing MSO into a full-blown synthesis engine.
BOLT is up to 16 voice polyphonic and offers 2 oscillators per voice, each equipped with suboscillator, noise generator, distortion and a dedicated ADSR envelope. Three syncable LFOs and a Modulation Envelope provide extensive modulation features. The number of overtones is set with BOLT’s Harmonics parameter, Rolloff additionally adjusts the steepness of the Harmonics “cutoff”. Apart from standard waveforms such as sine, saw or square, Harmonics Synthesis is also capable of generating pulse chains and alternating shapes.
Cross modulation between BOLT’s two oscillators opens the door to FM-like sounds and all sorts of modulation mayhem. A Voice Double mode provides unison features and 4 integrated effects processors simplify the creation of production-ready patches.
Over 500 factory sounds, including many artist patches, demonstrate the flexibility of this new synth engine: Lush pads, deep basses, screaming leads or percussion sounds that almost sound sampled are just some of its strengths. The triple LFO section allows the creation of interesting rhythmical soundscapes and drones.
- Harmonics Synthesizer with up to 16 voice polyphony.
- 2 oscillators + 2 sub-oscillators) .
- White noise generator per oscillator.
- Overdrive stage for each oscillator.
- 1 ADSR envelope per oscillator.
- Unison Voice Double Mode with detune and stereo spread (stack up to 4 instances).
- FM: Frequency Modulation of oscillator 1 by dedicated additional sine oscillator.
- X-Mod: cross-modulation of OSC1 from OSC2.
- 1 ADSR modulation envelope generator.
- 3 LFOs with extended range up to 10 kHz, 13 waveforms and MIDI sync.
- 4 modulation targets per modulation source (LFO 1-3, Mod EG).
- 4 FX processors: EQ, chorus, delay and reverb.
- Mono and Poly modes with adjustable pitch glide.
- Support for multiple sample rates.
- Automatic 2-stage Protection Limiter.
Nektar Technology BOLT for Windows and Mac (VST/VST3/AU) is available for the introduction price of $69 USD until January 31th, 2019 (regular $99 USD).
More information here: Nektar Technology
Be the first to comment